Venture along Poverty Point Road in your 4WD to this remote, partly-shaded camping area surrounded by mangroves on the shores of Tin Can Bay. It’s the perfect base for fishing, canoeing, kayaking and even sailing. Make sure you bring plenty of insect repellent! At low tide, explore the old jetty that dates from the area’s timber-cutting days. Try your hand at yabby pumping on the sand flats and watch pelicans and other shorebirds feeding on the sand banks. When the tide is high, you can fish from the camping area! Explore the inlet further by launching your kayak, canoe or rooftop tinny.
The camping area can be accessed by 4WDs only via Poverty Point Road off Rainbow Beach Road. Vehicle permits are not required to access this camping area.
Poverty Point camping area is in Cooloola Recreation Area, Great Sandy National Park, on the Sunshine Coast between Noosa Heads and Rainbow Beach (155–240km north of Brisbane).
- The camping area is in the northern section of Cooloola on the shore of Tin Can Bay, on Poverty Point Road 4WD track.
- You can access the camping area from Rainbow Beach Road near Rainbow Beach; you need a 4WD.
- Vehicle access permits are not required for Poverty Point Road but may be required if traversing beaches and other inland tracks within the Cooloola Recreation Area.
- Read 4WD with care for important information on 4WD safety and minimal impact driving.
Getting to Rainbow Beach
- From Brisbane, drive about 160km north on the Bruce Highway towards Gympie. At the southern edge of Gympie, turn onto Tin Can Bay Road and drive 42km, then turn right onto Rainbow Beach Road.
- From Maryborough, drive 57km south on the Cooloola Coast Road, then turn left onto Tin Can Bay Road and drive 3.5km, then turn right onto Rainbow Beach Road.
- Drive 16km along Rainbow Beach Road to the Poverty Point Road turnoff on your left and drive 6.3km on this rough sandy track to the camping area.
From Rainbow Beach
- From Rainbow Beach township drive along the Rainbow Beach Road for about 12.5km to the Poverty Point Road turnoff on your right and drive 6.3km on this rough sandy track to the camping area.
AddressPoverty Point Road
Cooloola, Queensland, 4580
Coordinates & Contact Details-25.962786, 153.02646213 74 68
what 3 wordsequip.martini.hillTin Can Bay, Queenslandhttps://what3words.com/