The main feature of this 340 hectare Reserve is the pillar of sandstone which towers 50 metres above the surrounding plain. Sandstone deposits were laid down in the area 350 millions years ago. Since then, wind and rain have eroded away the softer material, leaving this solitary column of pebbly sandstone.
John McDouall Stuart, heading north on his earliest attempt to cross Australia, first recorded the pillar in April 1860 and named it after James Chambers, one of his South Australian sponsors.
Chambers Pillar Historical Reserve lies 160km south of Alice Springs, along the Old South Road on a turnoff to the west of Maryvale Station. The road is unsealed and may be closed after rain. After the Maryvale turnoff, a 4WD is required to negotiate the deep sand drifts and steep jump ups.
Camping and picnic facilities, gas barbecues, information, toilets and parking are available. There are two campgrounds at Chambers Pillar and camping outside of these designated areas is not permitted. Camping fees are payable onsite. Please use the free gas barbecues provided where possible.