Perched on a sandy peninsular by the Sandon River mouth, Sandon River campground presents you with river on one side and protected ocean on the other. Not only does this mean million-dollar views, but easy access for fishing, swimming and boating. After you’ve chosen your caravan, trailer or tent site, why not share a barbecue with your neighbours? Use the boat ramp and head out fishing or for a spot of canoeing, or find out about the site’s rich Aboriginal and European cultural heritage from the informative panels around the campground. If you feel like getting your toes wet, head to the beach for a quick dip. This campground is also a great place to stop over when hiking the multi-day Yuraygir coastal walk.
Getting There and Parking
Sandon River campground is in Yuraygir National Park. To get there:
- From Gulmarrad, near Maclean, follow Brooms Head Road south east for about 17km
- Turn right onto Sandon River Road, about 100m north of Brooms Head village
- Continue on Sandon River Road for about 12.5km until reaching the campground.
The road to the campground is gravel and varies in condition. It can become boggy when it rains and at times it may not be suitable for some caravans or vehicles. Please check road conditions before you visit. 4WD vehicle access is permitted on North Sandon Beach. No vehicles are permitted south of the 4WD beach access.
- Camper trailer site
- Caravan site
- Camping beside vehicle
- Picnic tables
- BBQ facilities
- Boat ramp
- Public phone
What to Bring
- Cooking and drinking water
Bookings are required. Book online at https://nsw.rezexpert.com/book?business_code=500562&_ga=2.54563307.1553380479.1621207125-2051782135.1568159389 or call the National Parks Contact Centre on 1300 072 757. Rates and availability are displayed when making an online booking.
- $24 per night (includes 2 people). Additional adult $12, child (5-15yrs) $6, infant (0-4yrs) free.
- A 2 night minimum stay applies during NSW and QLD school holidays and NSW long weekends.
- Check in 2pm, check out 10am. Fees may apply for late check outs.
- A maximum of 2 sites can be booked in one customer name.
- This is a remote campground, so please arrive well-prepared. You can buy basic supplies in Brooms Head village 12.5km away.
- Sandon village is on the southern side of the Sandon River and can only be reached by travelling along the beach from Minnie Water or by boat.
- Please check road conditions before you visit. The road to the campground is gravel and varies in condition – at times it may not be suitable for some caravans or vehicles.
The Sandon, New South Wales, 2463
Coordinates & Contact Details
what 3 wordsscouts.suspend.unruffledMaclean, New South Waleshttps://what3words.com/