Lake Paluma is a popular camping destination. There are a limited number of camp sites available and you must have a permit. Without a permit you are not guaranteed a camp site. Council Rangers patrol the area daily. People who camp without a permit can be fined. Camp sites must be vacated by midday on the day of departure.Schools and large groups are encouraged to use Magar Yamba, the large group camping area.
Book a camping permit
Our online booking system allows you to select a camp site, pay your camping fees and obtain a permit for one or more nights. You may stay up to 12 consecutive nights. The system allows you to book up to 60 days in advance. When your booking is completed your permit indicates your campsite number and other relevant information. Print this permit and bring it with you when you camp. The permit is confirmation that you have booked and paid for your campsite. The Ranger may request to see your permit at the campground.
You can pay your camping fee by credit card on the online booking system or in person (cash or credit card) at Council's Customer Service Centre - 103 Walker St, City or card only at our Customer Service Point located at CityLibraries Thuringowa - 86 Thuringowa Drive, Thuringowa Central. Payment on site will incur an additional surcharge - credit/debit card only - no cash transactions.
Notice to the public
Any person using this lake and adjoining area for swimming, camping, non-motorised boating, or other recreational activity does so at his/her own risk. Townsville City Council accepts no responsibility to any such person for any damage to or loss of property, or any injury caused, contributed to or sustained by that person whether caused by other persons, concealed dangers, or any other cause whatsoever.
Points to remember
- Obtain your pre-paid camping permit before traveling to Lake Paluma
- Be self-sufficient as basic supplies are 30 minutes away
- All plants and animals are protected
- Check road and weather conditions before you travel. Strong winds and heavy rainfall can cause road closures
- Firewood is now available for purchase at Lake Paluma (payment by credit/debit card only - no cash transactions). Campers can obtain firewood when rangers are on site daily. Campers may supply their own untreated firewood. Collection from surrounding forest is not permitted.
Camping fees will be refunded or a camping permit of equivalent value issued, provided you give at least seven days notice prior to the date of your booking. Campers who change their plans and cancel at short notice effectively limit or prevent others from using the allocated camp site.
Council will not refund camping permit fees for circumstances outside of its control, including:
-The occurrence of unfavourable weather, or
- Personal decisions to change plans
Checklist for campers
We recommend that you take the following items when you go camping at Lake Paluma:
- Pre-paid permit
- Waterproof tent and tarp
- Fuel stove
- Torch for walking at night
- Radio (for forecasts) and spare batteries
- Bags for storage and rubbish
- Sufficient non-perishable food, drinking water etc.
- Warm clothing and sturdy shoes
- Raincoat or waterproof jacket
- Insect repellent
- Hat and sunscreen
- Well-stocked first aid kit
- Binoculars, camera and film
- Axe or block splitter
- Fire starters
- Untreated firewood
AddressPaluma Dam Road
Lake Paluma, Queensland, 4816
Coordinates & Contact Details
what 3 wordslegwork.upstarts.impedingIngham, Queenslandhttps://what3words.com/