Doon Goonge campground offers a peaceful and remote riverside camping experience. Relax and enjoy the tranquillity of the riverbank or set off bushwalking into the Chaelundi Wilderness Area. There are ample sites available for your camper trailer or tents. The campground is also spread across cleared flats in the northern section of Chandlers Creek, providing the perfect space for low-key vehicle-based camping. From here, you can cast a fishing line off from the riverbank, head out for an energetic bushwalk, or get your cossie on for a refreshing splash about.
Getting There and Parking
Doon Goonge campground is in the northern part of Chaelundi National Park. You'll need access codes to pass through the locked park gates. You'll get the access codes after you book. If you have not received your code, contact 13000 72757 before setting out. Access for camper trailers is recommended from the west via Quartz Road off Chaelundi Road. The eastern access, which crosses Chandler Creek via Shannon Creek Road is a steep, dry weather road only and is not suitable for camper trailers.
To get there from Armidale:
- Take Armidale-Grafton Road to Dundurrabin
- Turn left onto Sheep Station Creek Road
- Turn left onto Chaelundi Road, past the Misty Creek Road turn-off, past Stop-a-Bit, past Goldfields Road, until you reach the turn-off onto Quartz Road on your right.
- Soon after crossing over Marara Creek, you will reach Doon Goonge campground.
To get there from Grafton:
- Take Old Glen Innes Road to Dalmorton
- Turn left onto Chaelundi Road
- Turn left after 8km onto Quartz Road
- After 9km you will arrive at the campground
- Tent (short walk to campsite)
- Camper trailer site
- Picnic tables
- BBQ facilities
What to Bring
- Drinking and cooking water
Bookings are required. Book online at https://nsw.rezexpert.com/book?business_code=500557&_ga=2.222467675.1553380479.1621207125-2051782135.1568159389 or call the National Parks Contact Centre on 1300 072 757. Rates and availability are displayed when making an online booking. A minimum nightly rate applies, which includes the first 2 occupants.
- Check in 12pm, check out 11am.
- This is a remote campground so you’ll need to be self sufficient and bring everything you need.
- This campground has 4WD access only.
- Always check for road closures before starting your journey. This campground is remote and weather can change quickly.
Chaelundi, New South Wales, 2460
Coordinates & Contact Details-29.908614, 152.50958802 6657 2309
what 3 wordspavements.sung.contributorsCoutts Crossing, New South Waleshttps://what3words.com/